25th session of the
HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL
3-28 March 2014
Ensuring use of Remotely Piloted Aircraft or Armed Drones in
Counter Terrorism & Military operations
in accordance with
International Law including International Human Rights and Humanitarian Law
India's Explanation of Vote
28 March 2014
1.We would like to make this Explanation of Vote before the vote in respect of the draft resolution no. A/HRC/25/L.32 under consideration of the Council.
2. We agree that actions by countries need to be in accordance with international laws and agreements to which they are Party.
3. The draft resolution under consideration relates the use of one weapon system in situations of both counter terrorism as well as military operations. At this stage we feel that the scope of this resolution is too broad and many of the aspects included need to be appropriately deliberated upon at differentfora.
4. In this context the international community should join hands in eliminating the scourge of terrorism itself.
5. We find that there is a proliferation of panel discussions both during the Council sessions as well as during inter-sessional period. On the one hand, we are constantly demanding the UN Secretary General for allocation of more funds to the OHCHR for fulfilling of the existing mandates, on the other there are demands for more activities that entail additional expenditure.
6. It is for these reasons that my delegation would abstain on this vote.